State Farm Stadium, home of the Arizona Cardinals, has implemented strict bag policies for all events held at the venue. This includes a clear bag policy for all NFL games that limits the size and type of bags that can be brought into the stadium.
The policy was enacted league-wide by the NFL in 2013 as a safety measure to help improve security procedures at stadiums across the country. It represents a balance between enhancing safety for fans while still allowing them to bring certain necessary and personal items.
Under the clear bag policy, fans are restricted to only carrying approved clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC bags no larger than 12″ x 6″ x 12″, clear one gallon resealable storage bags, and small clutch purses. Prohibited bags include camera bags, backpacks, fanny packs, purses, and more. Fans found carrying unapproved bags will be turned away unless the items can be disposed of or returned to vehicles.
As one of the most state-of-the-art venues in sports, State Farm Stadium takes pride in providing a world-class experience for spectators. Strict enforcement of the bag policy aims to maintain a safe, comfortable environment so fans can fully enjoy Cardinals games and other marquee events held at the stadium.
What Items are Allowed as per State Farm Stadium Bag Policy?
State Farm Stadium allows fans to bring certain bags into events. The following types of bags are permitted:
- Clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC bags that do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12.” This allows for a small personal item like a wallet, keys, phone, etc. to be carried.
- Small clutch purses no larger than 6.5″ x 4.5.” This provides an option for carrying essential personal items for convenience.
- One gallon clear plastic freezer bags. These freezer bags are often used to store small snacks or non-alcoholic beverages.
The key requirements are that the allowed bags must be made of clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and not exceed the stated size dimensions. This keeps bags small and enables security staff to easily inspect contents upon entry. By limiting bags to clear materials, fans don’t have to remove items for inspection.
What Items are Prohibited at State Farm Stadium?
State Farm Stadium has strict rules prohibiting certain types of bags and containers from being brought into the stadium. This is done for security reasons and to help ensure a safe environment for fans.
Specifically, the following types of bags and containers are not allowed inside State Farm Stadium:
- Purses larger than clutch size – Only small clutch purses (no larger than 4.5″ x 6.5″) are permitted. Standard purses and handbags of any kind are prohibited.
- Coolers – No coolers of any size, including hard-sided, soft-sided, and lunch bag styles. This applies to all fans.
- Backpacks – Backpacks of any size, style, or type are prohibited. This includes drawstring bags and bags with multiple compartments.
- Fanny packs – Fanny packs and waist packs are not permitted.
- Cinch bags – Cinch bags, grocery totes, or similar style bags are prohibited.
- Luggage – Suitcases, duffel bags, computer bags, camera bags, binocular cases, or any type of luggage are not allowed.
Bags that do not comply with the stadium’s clearly defined size requirements will be turned away at the gate. Fans are strongly encouraged to leave all prohibited items at home or in their vehicles to avoid delays entering the stadium.
There are some exceptions to the strict bag policy at State Farm Stadium. Medically necessary items are permitted after thorough inspection at specified gates. Fans need to arrive early and be prepared to present documentation regarding their medical needs.
Some of the medically necessary items that may be allowed in after inspection include:
- Oxygen tanks
- Prescription medication
- Medical devices
Security staff receive special training to identify and properly handle medically necessary exceptions. They understand the importance of allowing fans to bring these items into the stadium while still maintaining safety standards.
Fans should be aware that medically necessary bags and items may still be searched. By having documentation ready and arriving early, attendees can ensure a smooth entry process.
The stadium aims to balance medical accommodations, fan experience, and stringent security measures. This special exceptions process enables those with health needs to participate while upholding the bag policy designed to keep all fans safe.
Where to Dispose of Bags
Most fans arrive with bags or purses that do not comply with the stadium’s clear bag policy. While you can take prohibited items back to your car, that’s not always the most convenient option. Here are some tips on where to safely dispose of disallowed bags near the stadium:
- There are secure trash bins located at each gate entrance. You can dispose of your bag here before entering. Just make sure no valuables are inside.
- If you want to hang onto the contents, there are day-use lockers available to rent outside the stadium. Place your bag in a locker before heading to your seat.
- Local businesses near the stadium will sometimes hold bags for fans as a courtesy. Ask neighboring restaurants, hotels or retailers if they offer this service.
- Consider leaving your bag with a non-ticketed friend or family member. They can keep it secure outside the stadium while you enjoy the game.
- As a last resort, you may have to hide your bag carefully outside the stadium. Do so at your own risk. Look for creative spots like under bushes or behind structures.
Discarding disallowed bags takes some advance planning. If you’re traveling to the stadium, be sure to check the bag policy ahead of time and make arrangements. Don’t let a great game day be sidelined by bag issues!
Are There Lockers Available?
If you don’t want to abide by the strict bag policy or don’t have a car to store your things, there are locker rentals available outside State Farm Stadium. Several companies set up temporary locker rentals in the parking lots on game days for a fee.
Locker sizes vary, with prices typically ranging from $10-20 for smaller lockers to $30 or more for larger ones that can fit backpacks and bigger bags. The companies provide wristbands or access codes so you can securely access your locker throughout the game. Most accept both cash and credit.
Locker rentals can be a convenient option for storing bags, jackets, umbrellas, and other prohibited items before entering the stadium. The companies set up in the busiest parking lots nearest the entrances, so the lockers are located a short walk away.
Just be sure to give yourself enough time before the game starts to find a locker and stow your belongings. The rental companies only operate during event hours at the stadium.
Some fans recommend sharing a locker with others in your group to save on costs. Just make sure you trust whoever you are sharing with!
What About Other Personal Items?
In addition to their strict bag policy, State Farm Stadium has regulations regarding what non-bag personal items are allowed into events. This is done for the safety of all attendees and to provide the best experience possible.
Cameras are permitted, however camera lenses cannot exceed 6 inches. Binoculars and telescopes are also allowed, as long as their cases do not exceed 6 x 6 x 12 inches. Selfie sticks, tripods, and cameras with a removable lens are all prohibited.
Seat cushions are allowed as long as they do not include any pockets, zippers, compartments or covers. Small radios with headphones are permitted, but megaphones and noisemakers are not. Signs must also adhere to specific stadium guidelines.
No food or beverages can be brought in, with exceptions made for medical or infant needs. Finally, umbrellas and strollers are prohibited for safety reasons. The stadium provides rain ponchos if needed.
Fans should plan ahead and be familiar with these policies to avoid disappointment. Restrictions are in place to provide all attendees with a comfortable, secure environment to enjoy events. With everyone’s cooperation, State Farm Stadium continues working to create a premier fan experience.
Why Such Strict Rules?
State Farm Stadium has such strict rules regarding bags and other personal items for important reasons related to safety and security. With tens of thousands of passionate football fans all converging in one location, strict protocols help ensure things go smoothly and safely.
Large crowds at a stadium unfortunately present potential risks and vulnerabilities. Stadium bag policies aim to limit the ability for dangerous or problematic items to be brought in. Bags could potentially conceal weapons, alcohol, or other prohibited items. By restricting bag size and style, it reduces opportunities to sneak in contraband.
Furthermore, limiting bags speeds up security lines upon entrance. Checks go faster when bags meet size limits and fans are prepared for inspections. This helps prevent bottlenecks and long wait times, which could otherwise frustrate fans and create chaotic crowd situations.
Stadiums must also plan for emergency evacuations, where large bags could impede movement and cause issues. Time is of the essence when rapidly exiting a stadium, so limited bags help the flow.
Additionally, bag rules create a more consistent and fair environment. Without restrictions, some fans may try to bring in oversized bags and gain an unfair advantage taking in more items. Strict rules create a level playing field.
While stadiums aim to provide a fun atmosphere, they also prioritize fan safety through measures like bag policies. Keeping tens of thousands of excited football fans secure is a major undertaking, but common-sense rules help ensure things go smoothly. Although bringing only small bags may require some adjustment, fans ultimately understand and appreciate the security rationale.
What Do Fans Think?
Fans initially had mixed reactions to the strict bag policy implemented at State Farm Stadium in 2017. Many were frustrated that they could no longer easily bring in bags and other prohibited items that they had routinely carried into NFL games for years.
The policy definitely led to some grumbling on social media and fan blogs in the early days. Some felt it was an overreach and would lead tolonger lines getting into games as security had to check each person. There were also complaints about not being able to bring in food and beverages from outside the stadium.
However, over time fans have generally come to accept the new rules. Most appreciate that the bag restrictions are in place to enhance safety and security. State Farm Stadium even expanded the size of permissible clear plastic bags to make it easier for fans to bring in their belongings.
Surveys of Cardinals fans have shown that the majority now support the stricter bag policy, especially as they’ve seen how quickly and efficiently stadium security can process fans on game days. While some fans still gripe about the changes online, most understand why they are necessary in today’s environment. Overall, the bag policy has not had a major negative impact on the gameday experience or prevented fans from enjoying Cardinals games.
The Bottom Line
The bag policy for State Farm Stadium aims to enhance security and provide a safer environment for fans. While the rules may seem strict, they exist for good reason. By leaving bags and certain items at home or in your vehicle, you’ll get through stadium security faster and be able to focus on enjoying the game.
To make the most of your game day experience under the new policy:
- Carefully review the list of allowed and prohibited items before heading to the stadium. Measure your bag if necessary to ensure it complies with the maximum size limits.
- If carrying a clear plastic bag, make sure it is zipped completely shut in order to be permitted inside. Consider a clear bag with multiple pockets to help organize your belongings.
- Leave plenty of extra time to go through security screening, as lines may be longer than previous years. Arrive early to tailgate and settle in before kickoff.
- Minimize what you need to bring. Carry cash and minimal essentials like keys, ID, and payment cards in your pockets to speed through the screening process.
- Leave bags, purses, coolers, and other unnecessary items locked in your vehicle. Avoid having to make a round trip back to store your belongings offsite.
- If traveling from out of town, call ahead to check if local sports bars or hotels can store your bag while at the game. Some may offer this service for patrons.
While it may require some adjustment at first, abiding by the State Farm Stadium bag policy helps make game days safer. Focus on cheering on your team, grab a hot dog, and enjoy the action!